Beach Bums Reading Program
The Beach Bums, Fifth Third Bank and 31 local elementary schools have just completed the fifth year of the Beach Bums Reading Program!
Through their reading program, the Beach Bums have encouraged over 42,000 kids to "read around the bases" and "hit a homerun" for prizes including a pair of chair back tickets to a Beach Bums game this season.
Congratulations to the following schools that participated in 2010:
- Betsie Valley Elementary - Thompsonville, MI
- Blair Elementary - Traverse City, MI
- Buckley Community Schools - Buckley, MI
- Central Grade School - Traverse City, MI
- Cherry Knoll Elementary - Traverse City, MI
- Cherry Street Intermediate School - Kalkaska, MI
- Courtade Elementary - Traverse City, MI
- Eastern Elementary - Traverse City, MI
- Fife Lake Elementary - Fife Lake, MI
- Glen Lake Elementary - Maple City, MI
- Holy Angels Elementary - Traverse City, MI
- Immaculate Conception Elementary - Traverse City, MI
- Interlochen Elementary - Interlochen, MI
- Kingsley Elementary - Kingsley, MI
- Lake Ann Elementary - Interlochen, MI
- Lakeland Elementary - Elk Rapids, MI
- Long Lake Elementary - Traverse City, MI
- Mancelona Elementary - Mancelona, MI
- Mancelona Middle School - Mancelona, MI
- Mill Creek Elementary - Williamsburg, MI
- Montessori Elementary - Traverse City, MI
- Northport Public Schools - Northport, MI
- Silver Lake Elementary - Traverse City, MI
- St. Mary School of Lake Leelanau - Lake Leelanau, MI
- St. Mary's Hannah School - Kingsley, MI
- South Boardman Elementary - South Boardman, MI
- Suttons Bay Public Schools - Suttons Bay, MI
- Traverse Bay Christian School - Traverse City, MI
- Traverse Heights Elementary - Traverse City, MI
- Westwoods Elementary - Traverse City, MI
- Willow Hill Elementary - Traverse City, MI
The Beach Bums Reading Program supports reading at all ages!
Here's how the program works:
- Start reading! Find a good book, curl up and start reading! Suntan & Sunburn love to read about baseball but they also like all different types of books. It does not matter what type of book you read, as long as you enjoy it!
- Record every book you finish on your poster. An added challenge for 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th graders: ONE book = 100 pages. For example, a book with a lot of pages such as Harry Potter may equal four or five books.
- When you finish reading your way around the bases, have your teacher check your poster and add your name to the Super Reader List.
First Base (5 Books): Free Ticket to 2010 Game
Second Base (10 Books): Free Autographed Poster of Suntan and Sunburn
Third Base (15 Books): Coupon for Free 16oz Pepsi Product
Home Run (20 Books): Free Second Ticket to 2010 Game and Tote Bag
If you only read part way around the bases, that's okay! Your teacher will add your name to the Super Reader List and check off which base you reached. So get out there and read, read, read!
Prizes and tickets will be delivered to each school during the month of May, depending on availability.
Please note that unlike previous seasons, the ticket voucher you will receive is for a chair back seat and is valid for ANY 2010 Beach Bums game. Schools will not be assigned a specific night that they must redeem their ticket on. If your school would like to coordinate a school outing, the Beach Bums ticket office will work with students and their parents to block out a special area for each school. Watch the website to see if there are any special promotions on the night that you will be visiting the park!
Family and friends may purchase additional tickets by calling the Beach Bums Ticket Office at 231-943-0100, visiting the team website at www.traversecitybeachbums.com or stopping by the Wuerfel Park Ticket Office during regular business hours.
KEEP READING and remember... "The mind is not a vessel to be filled but a fire to be kindled." - Plutarch
For more information on the Reading Club, please contact: